Akwaaba! Selam! Karibu! Nno! E Káàbo! (Welcome!)
The Wharton Africa Student Association (WASA) would like to welcome you to our home on the internet. We hope to give you insights into the composition of our family, our many initiatives, and our dimension of the Wharton experience.
- Build a strong community of students interested in Africa
- Facilitate relationships and career opportunities between Wharton students and companies seeking MBA talent from and in Africa
- Increase awareness of African business opportunities within the Wharton and UPenn communities
- Double the number of African students admitted to Wharton, and provide support throughout the admissions process
- Give back to the African Diaspora in the greater Philadelphia area
Building a community
- Annual Retreat. Held at the beginning of the year, kicks off the year for WASA and welcomes 1st years into the community.
- Social & cultural events. Ranging from themed club gatherings to Wharton wide events; these are an opportunity to have fun while celebrating African culture.
Facilitating career opportunities
- Treks. Student-led trips to Africa, offer students an opportunity to meet with prospective employers, while learning and enjoying the countries. This year’s trek will take students to Kenya and Ethiopia
- Career fair. This event takes place at the WABF conference in November, and is attended by hundreds of students, alumni and professionals.
- Speaker series. Bring in leaders in a variety of industries to speak about business and career opportunities on the continent.
Increasing African student admissions
- Admissions receptions, coffee chats and admissions events in Africa.
- Increasing involvement in community service, particularly in focusing existing charity efforts such as Rebuilding Together Philadelphia on the African Diaspora community and tutoring.